If you’re striving to live a healthier life, the way you start your morning can either help or hinder your efforts. It’s not always easy to stick to healthy habits, but if you incorporate changes gradually, you’ll affect your lifestyle in positive ways. Starting your day with healthy practices helps establish a healthy mindset for the rest of the day.
Implement these healthy habits in the morning to invigorate you all day.
8 Healthy Habits to Start Your Day Off Right
1. Get plenty of sleep the night before.
Experts advise 7 to 8 hours of sleep nightly for your health.
* It’s widely known that caffeine can cause sleep disturbances. If you’re having trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep, consider stopping your use of caffeine. Switching to decaffeinated beverages, for example, might improve your sleep.
* If you get a good night’s sleep, you’ll be ready to get out of bed at a reasonable time. For best results, arise at the same time each morning and retire at the same time each night.
2. Establish a routine to take care of your skin.
Clean your face first thing in the morning. For alternatives to traditional harsh soap-based cleansers, consider adopting an oil cleansing routine instead. You can do this with olive oil, castor oil, or my personal favorite, coconut oil.
* Don’t neglect the rest of your body. Apply a natural lotion all over your skin to protect from free radicals in the environment that assault your skin throughout the day. Providing a protective layer of lotion over your skin every morning is an excellent healthy habit.
3. Drink plenty of liquids as a healthy start to your day.
Hydrating your body and skin for the day is a habit that will pay off in many ways. It helps your body and mind all the way down to the cellular level for peak performance.
4. Have a good breakfast.
The possibilities for a healthy breakfast are varied:
- Yogurt with blueberries and strawberries with a bit of granola
- Oatmeal with bananas and your favorite milk or milk alternative.
- A boiled egg with a slice of whole grain toast and some fruit
- A green smoothie
5. Remember your vitamin.
If your doctor recommends a vitamin supplement, after breakfast in the morning is usually an opportune time to take it. Taking your vitamin ensures you’re doing what you can to get adequate vitamins and minerals.
6. Consider taking a morning walk.
Exercising in the morning brings vitality to your day. Consider heading out for a walk either before or after breakfast.
* In addition, psychologically, you’ll feel pleased with yourself because you accomplished something, and feeling good about yourself contributes to good mental health. When you start your day feeling so positively, the rest of the day is less stressful.
7. Write a short list of tasks you hope to accomplish.
Being organized is another healthy way to start your day. Make it a ritual to sit down for a few minutes in your morning to gather your thoughts and make a plan for the day.
8. Don’t forget to brush your teeth.
So important to healthy living, brushing your teeth thoroughly is integral to good health and a great start to your day.
If you’re trying to live a healthier life, you would do well to incorporate these habits into your mornings. Making changes in your lifestyle are best when introduced gradually. Keep your health goals foremost in your mind and these healthy habits will automatically have you starting your days with more focus and vitality.
Enjoyed This Article?
Get more like this every week by joining my newsletter! As a bonus, you’ll be upgraded to our V.I.P. membership where you get the keys to our Health & Wellness Resource Center. This virtual “library” contains helpful guides, worksheets, and planning tools to keep you healthy in all areas of life including work, family, and home. You may register for your free membership here or by fill in the form below.
Helpful Guides, eBooks, Worksheets & Printable Forms to keep you focused, organized, and healthy!
Subscribe now and get Full Access to the V.I.P. Health and Wellness Resource Center. Simply enter your details below to get your first resource emailed to you and instructions for full access.
Alicia Hyatte is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Family Wellness Expert, and Health Educator. She creates impactful, evidence-based health and wellness content and programs for individuals, families, and communities.