If you’re striving to live a healthier life, the way you start your morning can either help or hinder your efforts. It’s not always easy to stick to healthy habits, but if you incorporate changes gradually, you’ll affect your lifestyle in positive ways. Starting your day with healthy practices helps establish a healthy mindset for the rest of the day. Implement these healthy habits in the morning to invigorate you all day.
8 Healthy Habits to Start Your Day Off Right
1. Get plenty of sleep.
Experts advise that adults get between 7 and 9 hours of sleep each night. If that seems impossible, it may be time for a bedtime routine.
It’s widely known that excess use of caffeine can disrupt our sleep patterns, making it difficult to fall asleep or stay asleep through the night. If you’re reaching for multiple cups of soda, tea, or coffee every day this may be playing a role in your sleep problems. So, it may be time to re-evaluate your use of caffeine. Cutting caffeine use earlier in the day or switching to decaffeinated beverages might improve your sleep.
When you get a good night’s sleep, you’ll be ready to get out of bed and face the day. For best results, establish a routine of waking and going to bed at the same times each day.
2. Develop a skin care routine.
Clean your face first thing in the morning. For alternatives to traditional harsh soap-based cleansers, consider adopting an oil cleansing routine instead. You can do this with olive oil, castor oil, or my personal favorite, coconut oil.
* Don’t neglect the rest of your body. Apply a natural lotion all over your skin to protect from free radicals in the environment that assault your skin throughout the day. Providing a protective layer of lotion over your skin every morning is an excellent healthy habit.
3. Drink plenty of liquids as a healthy start to your day.
Hydrating your body and skin for the day is a habit that will pay off in many ways. It helps your body and mind all the way down to the cellular level for peak performance.
4. Have a balanced breakfast.
The possibilities for a healthy breakfast are varied:
- Yogurt with blueberries and strawberries with a bit of granola
- Oatmeal with bananas and your favorite milk or milk alternative.
- A boiled egg with a slice of whole grain toast and some fruit
- A green smoothie
5. Remember your vitamin.
If your doctor recommends a vitamin supplement, after breakfast in the morning is usually an opportune time to take it. Taking your vitamin ensures you’re doing what you can to get adequate vitamins and minerals.
6. Consider taking a morning walk.
Exercising in the morning brings vitality to your day. Consider heading out for a walk either before or after breakfast.
* In addition, psychologically, you’ll feel pleased with yourself because you accomplished something, and feeling good about yourself contributes to good mental health. When you start your day feeling so positively, the rest of the day is less stressful.
7. Write a short list of tasks you hope to accomplish.
Being organized is another healthy way to start your day. Make it a ritual to sit down for a few minutes in your morning to gather your thoughts and make a plan for the day.
8. Don’t forget to brush your teeth.
So important to healthy living, brushing your teeth thoroughly is integral to good health and a great start to your day.
If you’re trying to live a healthier life, you would do well to incorporate these habits into your mornings. Making changes in your lifestyle are best when introduced gradually. Keep your health goals foremost in your mind and these healthy habits will automatically have you starting your days with more focus and vitality.
Enjoyed This Article?
Get more like this every week by joining my newsletter! I’ll send you weekly tips and solutions to help your family thrive in health, work, and home. As a thank you, I’ll also send you a free copy of our new guide “Smart Tips for Easy Meal Planning & Prep“. It’s packed with tips and shortcuts to plan and prep healthy meals, cut time in the kitchen, and lower your grocery bill. Sign up to get your free copy below.
DON'T MISS THIS!
Get our newest guide "Smart Tips for Easy Meal Planning and Prep" when you join our newsletter.
Alicia Hyatte is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Family Wellness Advocate, Health Educator, and a Diabetes Prevention Lifestyle Coach. She helps parents to build healthier habits and routines to better balance home and work life. Her website, WholeFamilyLiving.com, provides motivation and simple strategies for handling everyday challenges like managing stress, being active, eating healthier, losing weight, and more. Alicia is a beach lover and gardening geek in her spare time.